Ardee Concert Band
Bohemian Centre, Jervis Street, Ardee. Co. Louth
Founded in 1860, Ardee Concert Band is the third oldest concert band in Ireland. In just over 150 years in operation, they have achieved much and received wide acclaim in Ardee, Louth and beyond.
With the original instrumentation of the band made up of drums and fifes, they changed in 1890 when German immigrant Herr Von Rothe, who broadened musical horizons of the town and citizens. Under his stewardship as musical director, the band renamed as the Ardee Brass and Reed Band. Travelling trough Louth and Meath to perform, the band gained wide recognition in the North East.
Throughout the years, while periodic declines have been inevitable, the band has remained together and developed to become one of the more sought after concert bands in the country, winning regional and national titles and performing at Croke Park as early as the 1950s, under the directorship of Paddy O’Brien.
In 1979, they performed at Killineer during the visit of Pope John Paul II. Since then, more competition wins and high placings have followed for the Band, it’s Youth Band and individuals. In 1985, the group changed their name to Ardee Concert Band.
Based in the Bohemian Centre Ardee, the group performs annually in the Ardee St Patrick’s Day parade and at their own Annual Concert every December and annual Spring Concert.
In 2016 alone, the band won the Turner Cup from the North of Ireland Band Association competition and also won the corresponding prize at the South of Ireland Band Championships in Clonakilty, Co. Cork.
In April last year, the seniors won ‘Best Own Choice’ award at the 51st annual IABCB National Bands Championships in Navan, whilst also taking home the second place award. In addition, two members won at the Annual Irish Association of Brass & Concert Bands Solo and Ensemble competition. Aisling Reilly won the Open Section of the competition, while Cathal Flanaghan took home the award for the Under 18 section.